Prep: Baking the Cake and Making the Icing

The Cake

 The step was to bake the cake and make the icing. Since I already am a fairly good baker and I have my go-to recipes I was going to just bake one of my usual cakes and icings for this step, but with my purchase of the "Decorating Masterclass" I also gained free access to the "Baking Basics" course. Since I had access to this extra course I decided I'd try the recipes from there too. I tried the classic vanilla cake recipe and the Italian Meringue Buttercream. I am glad I had pre-watched the first video of the decorating series before starting to plan when I would bake as the decorating video starts by recommending that you cool the cake in the fridge overnight before even removing it from the pan. I caught this but had I planned to do it all in one day and I hadn't started watching the videos this would have been a huge issue. It might be beneficial to have some sort of written out plan surrounding the timing of steps in this course instead of nesting this key info inside the videos. 

The cake recipe turned out phenomenal and will now be my go-to vanilla cake recipe for sure. I was skeptical while reading the ingredients (I usually like cakes that use both oil and butter, not just butter) but this cake really is exceptionally delicious and moist. My only criticism with the baking part of the course is that measurements are only given by volume, I much prefer when recipes give me both volume and weights of ingredients. Weights are so much more precise than volumes, especially for things like flour. 

The Icing 

I was also a bit hesitant to deviate from my tried and true Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) and instead try the Italian Meringue Buttercream in the Baking Basics course. While similar, SMBC is a little more complicated but in the past has given me more consistent results, previously when I have tried Italian Meringue Buttercream it's turned into a greasy unappetizing mess. Despite my reservations, I decided to follow this method for Italian Meringue Buttercream. I followed the directions very closely and while it took almost three hours (the cooling time is long and you have to continuously mix while it's cooling - I made this on a very hot day which definitely was a factor). I will say that despite the long time to make it, the results were great and the icing was delicious and easy to work with. 

Screenshot of the Baking Basics Course



Comments